I have always been very aware of the effect diet can have on our lives and well-being. A huge goal of mine has been to clean up my diet and let go of unhealthy things. I am going to be changing my diet to a plant-based diet, cutting out sugars, diet sodas, and all the crap that really is not good for me ( I have a MAJOR sugar addiction). I have been doing so much research on diet and how much diet really can affect our moods and well-being. I have a long list of books I will be reading to help educate me more on the subject. Being someone with bipolar disorder I know my diet can have either a negative or positive effect on my mental health. A plant based diet is just a diet that includes a lot of whole foods like fruits, vegetables, tubers, whole grains, and legumes while staying away from processed foods, white sugars, and bleached flours. Only stuff that grows from the earth is allowed while almost eliminating meat and dairy products. Here in Ecuador, fruits and veggies are cheap and are something that I can buy in abundance. When I was younger, I was a vegetarian and a vegan. During that time my I felt the best mentally and physically. It was great and I would love to once again transition into something like that.
My diet is not particularly unhealthy, but it is not something I focus on. I eat whatever, whenever I am hungry. The problem with that is that I am on medications that heavily suppress my appetite. I will fill myself up on rice and be satisfied, not realizing I hit none of my nutrition marks for the day, and then wonder why I am feeling fatigued and weak every day. I have decided to change my diet to get more vitamins and nutrients into my body. I am not looking for a weight loss diet just something that is going to make me feel better at the end of the day.
Plant Based Goals
- Cooking all or most of my meals at home.
- More smoothies to pack in the fruits and veggies.
- Celery juice in the morning.
- No more diet soda This will be a really, really, really hard one for me.
- Having fruits or veggies with every meal.
- Heavily cutting down on alcohol, maybe only a glass of wine each week.
- Being more aware of the amount of calories I am consuming. Making sure I am hitting my daily calorie mark and nutrition marks for each day. It sounds a little strange, but I can honestly say I don’t think I make the cut most days.
- Drink a glass of lemon and ginger water in the morning.
- Cut back to one cup of coffee a day. I have a caffeine addiction as well.
- Drink three to four liters of water a day.
These are my main goals as of now. I would hope that as I dive more into clean, healthy eating I will be able to change and fine tune my nutrition and find a diet that works best for my body and lifestyle.
Thanks so much for reading and I hope that you have a wonderful week. ❤